If you are looking for a good post-workout meal with the right combination of macro-and micronutrients, then this Fermented Beet Quinoa Salad is what you need! You will want to ferment the beets for 24 hours prior to assembling the bowl. Hoverer, if you are short on time or haven’t accounted for this step you can omit the fermentation and prepare the dish with freshly grated beets instead.
Fermented Beet and Quinoa Bowl [Vegan]
- 2 medium beets
- 1/4 teaspoons Celtic sea salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley chopped
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Wash, peel and finely grate the beets. Put them in a glass bowl, add the Celtic salt and squeeze massage really well with your hands until the beets start to release juice. Cover with a small plate that fits inside the bowl, top with something heavy (jar filled with water works well) and allow to rest on your kitchen counter for 24 hours. Before using the beets in this recipe, drain off most of the juice.
- Soak the quinoa in a jar with 2 cups of purified water and a pinch of sea salt for 8-10 hours.
- Drain the quinoa through a fine-meshed strainer and rinse well under running water. Place the drained quinoa in a saucepan together with 2 cups of water. Bring to boil and add a pinch of salt. Bring the heat to low, half-cover with a lid and cook until the quinoa absorbs all the water, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, rinse the raisins under warm running water and drain well. Put the raisins into a large mixing bowl together with chopped walnuts. Add in drained fermented beets, cooled quinoa, lemon juice, and chopped parsley. Gently mix all the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to your preferred taste. Garnish with more fresh parsley and serve.
This dish tastes great even after sitting in the fridge for 1-2 days, so feel free to make it in advance. The flavours will develop and you will end up with even more delicious, mineral-rich meal.