This fennel salad is so easy to throw together and would be a great idea to use up brown rice from whatever you cooked the night before. The fennel really gives a great, strong flavor to the dish, and compliments the surrounding flavors. With so many nutritional benefits, this is a pretty complete dish, and one that’ll tick all the boxes. Nutrition – Check! Flavor – Check! Quick & Easy – Check! If you’re a lover of fennel and all things licorice, you’ll love this interesting salad. For those who don’t know, fennel is a crunchy and slightly sweet vegetable that is quite popular in Mediterranean and Italian cooking. It’s made up of a big pale green/white bulb and long stalks (similar to celery) with tiny feathery thin leaves which flower and produce fennel seeds. It’s most popularly known for it’s distinct licorice flavor. Fennel is so versatile, from roasting it, to throwing it into soups, it really can work in so many ways. This fennel salad is a crunchy salad that is bursting with nutrition and a whole lot of flavor. Quick and easy to make and a great option for left over rice.
Fennel and Brown Rice Salad [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 Fennel Bulb
- 1 Lime
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1-2 Cups Baby Spinach
- Handful Baby Tomatoes
- Brown Rice - left overs
- 1 tablespoon Tahini
- Take your fennel bulb and chop off the end, and just before the stalks begin. Keep your fennel leaves for garnish, or herbal tea.
- Chop the bulb in half vertically, and rinse the thoroughly in a bowl of water and apple cider vinegar. If you're lucky enough to have organic, just a rinse under the tap will do.
- Thinly dice up the bulb, and place into a large mixing bowl. Add the baby spinach, apple cider vinegar and juice of 1 lime. Mix through and allow to marinate for at least 30mins.
- While that is marinating you can chop up your bell pepper, and baby tomatoes.
- Once the salad has marinated, add the bell pepper and tomatoes, and serve on a plate adding your hummus, and a separate bowl of brown rice. Drizzle some tahini over the rice for an added calcium boost!
- Add salt and pepper if needed.