Mujadara is a Middle Eastern dish consisting of lentils cooked with rice and combined with caramelized onions. Instead of rice, this recipe uses farro, which provides a nutty flavor and slightly chewy texture. This is a quick, easy, and budget-friendly recipe for comfort food that will sustain your soul as well as your body. The hearty mixture of lentils and farrow is complimented nicely by the onions. All in all, it's the simple things in life that are the best, and this dish is no exception.
Farro Mujadara: Middle Eastern Lentils and Grains [Vegan]
1-2 as main, 4-6 as side
- 1/2 cup dry farro
- 1 cup cooked lentils (1/3 cup if they are dry)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 a red onion
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, add the farro, the lentils, and the bay leaf.
- Bring it to a simmer and cover it.
- Let it cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Drain the excess water and remove bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, toss the chopped red onion and the olive oil into a very hot skillet.
- Cook them until onions caramelize and are slightly charred and crispy.
- Toss the farro and lentil mixture with the nutritional yeast and add salt and pepper as you like.
- Top it with the onions and serve.