Just when you thought everything bagels couldn't get any better! These bagels are taken to the next level with the flavor and look of a soft pretzel. Top it all off with some tender carrot lox that looks and tastes remarkably like the real deal. These everything pretzel bagels are easy, oil-free, and delicious!
Everything Pretzel Bagels With Carrot Lox [Vegan]
For the Bagels:
- 2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (you may need 1/4 cup more)
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour and more for kneading
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Bagel Boil:
- 8 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- Everything bagel seasoning
For the Carrot Lox:
- Pour the sugar and yeast into 1/2 cup warm water but do not stir. Let it sit for five minutes to activate, then stir until dissolved.
- Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle, then add in the yeast and sugar mixture along with 1/3 cup of the remaining warm water. Mix together until a dough forms, and add in more water or flour as needed to form a moist and firm dough.
- Flour a countertop or large cutting board, and knead the dough for 10 minutes or until it is smooth and elastic.
- Wet the inside of a clean large non-metal bowl with water, place the dough inside, and turn to coat until the outside is moist. Cover with a damp dish towel and set it to rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size. Once risen, punch down the dough and set it aside for 10 minutes.
- Cover a baking sheet with silicon baking mat or parchment paper and set aside. Remove the dough from the bowl and divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Repeat with all of the dough.
- Coat your finger in flour then press into the center of ball to form a ring. Stretch the dough balls into a rings about 1/3 the diameter of the bagel, then place onto the baking sheet. Cover with a damp towel and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF, and combine all of the bagel boil ingredients together in a large pot. Bring the water to a boil, and get your seasonings and almond milk ready as you will need that next.
- Once the water has boiled, reduce the heat to medium, and use a slotted spoon to lower as many bagels that fit comfortably into the water. Once they to float to the top (after a couple seconds), boil for 2 minutes, flip, then boil for another 2 minutes.
- Once all the bagels have boiled, transfer them to your lined baking sheet. Brush the dough with almond milk and sprinkle with your seasoning.
- Bake the bagels 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Store in an air tight container for 4-5 days.