Who doesn't love a good pretzel? This recipe, in particular, combines the soft and fluffy texture of pretzels with the fun and flavorful seasoning of an everything bagel. Garlicky, textured, and perfect for dipping in some mustard! Or you can get creative and slice this pretzel in half and make a sandwich.
Everything Bagel Soft Pretzels [Vegan]
8 large pretzels
For the Everything Bagel Seasoning:
- 4 teaspoons dried garlic flakes
- 4 teaspoons dried minced onion flakes
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
For the Pretzels:
- 1 1/2 cups warm water, about 110-115°F
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces vegan butter, melted
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil (egg wash replacer)
To Make the Everything Bagel Seasoning:
- Mix all seasoning ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
To Make the Pretzels:
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, add sugar and salt. Add in water and mix to dissolve. Then sprinkle the yeast on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture starts to foam.
- Slowly add the flour and melted vegan butter (make sure the butter isn't too hot) and mix using the dough hook attachment. Mix on low speed until well combined.
- Increase the speed to medium and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 5 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl that's been greased with vegetable oil, cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot for approximately 50 minutes, until the dough has doubled in size.
- While you're waiting for the dough to rise, line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush them with the vegetable oil. Set aside.
- When the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a boil in an 8-quart saucepan.
- Then turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Rolling each piece out into a long 24-inch rope.
- Make a "U" shape with the rope. Takes the two ends and cross them over each other and press them into the bottom of the "U" to form the pretzel shape. You can also cut them into small bite sized pieces instead of a large pretzel shape.
- Place all the pretzels on the parchment lined sheet pans.
- Once the water is boiling, add them 1 at a time, for 30 seconds each, into the boiling water.
- Return them to the sheet pan, brush the top of each pretzel lightly with coconut oil which acts as an egg wash replacer and sprinkle liberally with the everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake until dark golden brown in color, approximately 12-14 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and serve.