Endive leaves make the perfect platter for sweet chopped apples, crunchy walnuts, and a savory, homemade sun-dried tomato cheese. The cheese itself is a blend of cashews, sun-dried tomatoes, and a mixture of herbs and spices that give it an unforgettable taste.These endive boats will be a big hit at your next party, and not just for creativity — they have a memorable taste that'll generate requests for multiple orders!
Endive Boats With Sun-Dried Tomato Cheese [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Endive Boats With Sun-Dried Tomato Cheese [Vegan]
For the Endive Boats:
- 2 large endives, ends chopped and leaves separated
- 2 apples of any sweet variety (such as Fuji)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives, for garnish
For the Sun-Dried Tomato Cheese:
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (about 5-6), soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- 2 teaspoons probiotic powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons white miso
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Black pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Endive Boats With Sun-Dried Tomato Cheese [Vegan]
To Make the Sun-Dried Tomato Cheese:
- Drain the cashews and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Place the cashews, tomatoes, and water into a high-speed blender (or food processor) and blend on high until smooth, about 5 minutes. You may need to stop and scrape the sides a few times. If the mixture is too dry, add a little more water, but don’t allow it to become too runny — add only one tablespoon of water at a time, and be patient with the process.
- Place the cashew mixture into a medium bowl. Mix in the probiotic powder (this will help ferment the cheese). Cover with a kitchen towel. Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature, and ferment, for 12-24 hours. It should smell slightly cultured.
- When the fermentation time is over, add the cashew mixture, nutritional yeast, miso, lemon juice, onion powder, sea salt, paprika, turmeric, garlic powder, Dijon mustard, and black pepper to a medium bowl. Mix well. If the mixture feels very dry, add just a little water to smooth it out. It should be the consistency of a dip.
To Make the Endive Boats:
- Finely dice the apples. Drizzle on the lemon juice and mix well (this will prevent the apples from browning).
- Spread a little cheese mixture onto 3/4 of the length of each endive leaf. Top with a generous amount of chopped apples, walnuts, and chives.
- Lay the endive leaves on a serving platter.
- Serve immediately.
- Cashew Cheese
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.