These are everything you love about traditional chocolate chip muffins, in vegan form. These homemade muffins are moist, fluffy, and perfectly studded with chocolate chips!
Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins [Vegan]
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted (I used Earth Balance)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbs ground flax + 6 tbs warm water)
- 1 cup dairy free milk + 1 tbs apple cider vinegar * see instruction step #4
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- More chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Grease and/or line 12 cavity muffin tin.
- For the flax eggs, combine ground flax and warm water, stirring to combine. Set aside to thicken
- Add 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar to a measuring cup. Fill to 1 cup line with dairy free milk. Set aside until needed
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg) and stir.
- Combine sugar, milk/vinegar mixture, flax eggs, melted vegan butter and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredient mixture and stir until fully incorporated, taking care not to overmix.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter amongst 12 cavities of prepared muffin tin.
- Press some chocolate chips onto the tops of the muffins (optional).
- Bake in preheated oven for 5-6 minutes, then lower the temperature to 375 °F and bake for another 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean and the edges are golden.
- Allow to cool on wire rack.