Need a quick, easy no-fuss meal? This quick and easy pressure cooker biryani is the thing to make! You don't need any pots or pants — all you need is your pressure cooker. Onion, garlic, turmeric, and other spices are sautéed and then cooked with brown rice until fragrant and fluffy. This biryani can be enjoyed as a meal on its own or you can serve it alongside whatever you want, like soup, curry, or steamed vegetables.
Easy Pressure Cooker Biryani [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup tightly packed mint, chopped
- Chopped raw cashew, for garnish
- Soak the rice in water for at least 10 minutes and then transfer to a fine mesh strainer. Run some new water through the rice to rinse it and then tap the strainer on the sink to extract as much excess water as possible. Set aside for now.
- Press the sauté setting on your pressure cooker and let it heat up for about 2 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, cumin seeds, turmeric, salt, and cinnamon stick to the pressure cooker and saute for one minute, stirring frequently so nothing sticks to the pot.
- Turn the pressure cooker off and add the rice and the water and stir. Press the “multigrain” setting and set the timer for 25 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, use the quick release method and take the lid off the pot. Add the raisins and the mint and stir.
- Top with raw chopped cashews and fresh mint leaves when serving.