These dark chocolate chips are a do-it-yourself alternative to those store bought chips with all the processed ingredients. Delicious and fresh, store them in the freezer for your when your next recipe calls for these yummy little additions!
Easy Dark Chocolate Chips [Vegan, Paleo]
- 3/4 cup raw cacao butter (can sub organic, unrefined coconut oil, but the chocolate chips won’t hold up to warmer temperatures as well)
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder (about 60g) (can sub regular unsweetened cocoa powder, but won’t yield the same taste)
- 2-3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, depending on how sweet you want them. (2 tablespoons is about 85% cocoa, while 3 is similar to 72% cocoa)
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch or arrowroot starch (this helps with firmness)
- Pinch of sea salt (Optional)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (can use other extras for different flavors)
- In a double boiler, melt the raw cacao butter. Whisk in the raw cacao powder until smooth.
- Whisk in the maple syrup, vanilla extract, and sea salt, if using.
- Pour the silky chocolate into prepared molds (make sure you set your molds on a cookie sheet for easy mobility.) (You can also use a container or pan to make chocolate chunks!)
- Place molds in the refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes, or until the chocolate is solidified.
- When solidified, pop out the chips and store in an airtight container at room temperature, the fridge, or freezer.