What’s fab about this cake, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable features minimal ingredients, is rich with flavor, history, buttery soft, has a lil less sugar, features coffee, is perfect for any season, any occasion, you can top with whatever you like or serve plain, and it’s just so good!
Depression Era Cake [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup cooled brewed coffee (or water)
- Preheat to 375°F. Grease an 8-inch round or square pan.
- Mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and the sugar. Poke three holes into the mix. Pour the vanilla, vinegar, and oil into each hole.
- Add the coffee and stir the ingredients until well blended. Add to the pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until the top is set but springy. Cool the cake in the pan, then top with the frosting of your choice or enjoy plain.