This soup is the ultimate comfort food meal for chilly nights. It contains Delicata squash, hearty quinoa, leeks, chickpeas, and corn, all submerged in a savory broth made golden thanks to turmeric. To get a buttery vegetable broth make sure to add the cob of corn in after you're done shucking off the kernels. That little cob adds a ton of flavor. Enjoy!
Delicata Squash Stew With Chickpeas and Quinoa [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Delicata Squash Stew With Chickpeas and Quinoa [Vegan]
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large leek, white and light-green parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 small or one large delicata squash, seeds removed and skin still on, diced
- 1 cob of organic corn, kernels removed from cob and cob reserved (or about 1 cup frozen corn)
- 1 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 3-4 stalks Tuscan kale, stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Delicata Squash Stew With Chickpeas and Quinoa [Vegan]
- Place quinoa in a small bowl and cover with water. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pot and add onions, leeks, and garlic. Sautée until soft. Don’t rush this step, this is where we develop flavor. Stir often to prevent burning, add a splash of water if the pot gets dry. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to season.
- Once soft and cooked down, after about 10 minutes, add in the diced delicata squash, corn kernels, chickpeas, and turmeric and stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes, stirring often, then add in broth and if you have an empty cob of corn, throw that in as well. Add enough broth to cover ingredients fully, around 8 cups.The quinoa will soak in some water as it cooks as well, so a little extra is okay.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium simmer. Cook until the squash is almost tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and rinse quinoa in cold water then add the quinoa to the pot. Cover once again and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes. Add in the kale 2-3 minutes before the end. Taste, adjust seasoning as needed. A good pinch of salt and some fresh cracked black pepper should do the trick.
- Serve warm.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.