This tart is truly decadent and special. It has a nutty whole-wheat crust which is filling and satisfying, a rich and creamy almond yogurt and homemade hazelnut butter filling, and maple-infused apples seasoned with nutmeg, cardamom, and cinnamon on top. This hazelnut maple apple tart is autumn through and through!
Decadent Hazelnut Maple Apple Tart [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, soft
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup almond yogurt (can be replaced with natural or vanilla flavor)
- 6 tablespoons hazelnut butter*
- 2 medium-sized apples
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 pinch of cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg
To Prepare the Dough:
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. I recommend using a fork to mix the ingredients to make sure the warmth of your hands won’t melt the butter. Put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
To Prepare the Filling:
- In the meantime, with a hand mixer, whisk the butter and powdered sugar for a few minutes until white and creamy. Then add the lemon zest and juice, as well as the cornstarch. In the end, add the yogurt and hazelnut butter and set aside.
To Prepare the Topping and Assemble:
- Wash the apples and slice them into thin, even wedges. In a medium-sized bowl, add the maple syrup and spices and mix everything until well-combined.
- Butter a tart pan and spread the dough evenly. You can either roll it out or carefully distribute it with your fingers. Fill in the cream, then top it with the apples.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes. Let it cool off completely before you slice it.
Hazelnut butter can be made by roasting the hazelnuts for about 10 minutes, then letting them cool off and pulsing them in a blender.