Is the prevalence of pumpkin pie and pumpkin spice lattes getting you down? Try these dark chocolate pumpkin gingersnaps instead! They're studded with dark chocolate chunks and bold, warm autumn spices. This is one heck of a cookie!
Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Gingersnaps [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, room temperature (solid)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a bowl with either a stand mixer fitted with a paddle or with a handheld mixer, beat together the coconut oil and brown sugar. The mixture should be fairly smooth and there should be very few chunks of coconut oil. Beat in the pumpkin and vanilla extract. Beat on low to medium until everything comes together and looks fairly smooth. Add in the dry mixture with the flours and just mix until no flour streaks remain. Don't overmix! If you do, you will get tough cookies.
- Fold in the grated ginger and dark chocolate. Scoop the dough onto the lined cookie sheets, about 1-2 tablespoons per cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are a light brown. Allow to cool a bit before serving.