Potatoes are the perfect base for these simple fritters that are crispy on the outside, but light and fluffy on the inside. They're lightly seasoned, with added spinach for that extra bit of flavor and texture. They're perfect as an appetizer with a flavorful sauce or as a side to a complete meal.
Crispy Spinach and Potato Fritters [Vegan]
- Approximately 1 1/4 pounds potatoes
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 2 handful fresh baby spinach (or roughly chopped spinach)
- 1 tablespoon psyllium fiber husk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Extra water, if needed
- Peel and cut the potatoes into evenly sized chunks. Place in a medium-sized pot and cover with water. Bring to boil.
- Once the potatoes are soft, take the pot off the stove. Mash them with the remaining cooking water. Add spices, corn flour, and fiber husk, and mix well. You want to have a fairly thick dough. If it is too dry, add a little extra water.
- Fold in the baby spinach leaves. The heat of the mashed potatoes should make them wilt pretty quickly.
- When the dough has cooled down enough, form patties with your (clean) hands. Heat some coconut oil in a very good non-stick frying pan and cook the patties on medium heat for about 10 minutes on each side.