This recipe is an elegant take on a stir-fry with a sauce that will blow your mind. The tofu is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside while the al dente broccoli shoots are tender and savory. Then both of these are tossed in a sticky lemon and ginger sauce that is bursting sweet floral flavors and fiery spices.
Crispy Lemon Ginger Tofu With Broccoli [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 16-ounces extra firm tofu, pressed
- 3 tablespoons potato starch or cornstarch
- 1-2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/4 cup liquid sweetener of choice
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha (optional)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Sesame seeds (to garnish)
- Scallions (to garnish)
- Drain and remove the tofu from its packaging and press out the water. This will take 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, you can blend the sauce. Place all ingredients from the vegetable broth down to the Sriracha sauce into a blender and blend until everything is thoroughly mixed. Set this aside.
- Once you're done pressing the tofu, cut it into cubes and place it into a freezer bag. Add 1/2-3/4 cups of the lemon ginger sauce to the freezer bag and toss it to coat. Refrigerate this for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
- Once the tofu has marinated, spoon the potato or cornstarch over the tofu cubes in the freezer bag and shake/toss them until all cubes are evenly coated. Add more starch if necessary.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over moderate heat.
- Place the tofu cubes into the skillet and fry them until they are golden brown and crispy on each side. This will take 2 minutes per side. Transfer the tofu to a bowl and cover it to keep it warm.
- If you're making rice, now is a good time to start on that; also start to steam your broccoli florets until they're bright green and tender. This will take around 5-7 minutes, or when you can easily pierce each floret with a fork.
- Transfer the lemon ginger sauce to the skillet where you cooked the tofu and bring it to a simmer over moderate heat.
- In a small bowl, mix your cold water and cornstarch until the starch has fully dissolved. This is to thicken the sauce.
- Slowly, add the cornstarch mix to the sauce, continuously stirring to blend it in.
- Once the sauce has thickened to your liking, bring down the heat.
- When the broccoli is ready, transfer it to the skillet.
- Add the tofu, and toss everything in the sauce to coat. Spoon the tofu and broccoli over a bed of fluffy rice and them garnish with sesame seeds, thinly sliced scallions and/or extra Sriracha.
Per Serving: Calories: 518 | Carbs: 70 g | Fat: 19 g | Protein: 30 g | Sodium: 1241 mg | Sugar: 31 g Calculation not including garnishes. Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile