We’ll warn you up front, you will absolutely fall in love with these crispy, golden nuggets of goodness! Tofu is cubed then coated in gluten-free crackers spiced with chipotle powder — hello, perfect game day snack! One of the best things about them, other than the taste, is that they’re super quick and easy to make. You may find yourself making these often.
Crispy Chipotle Tofu Bites [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
32 tofu bites
To Make the Tofu:
- 1 14-ounce package extra firm tofu
- 40-45 vegan and gluten-free crackers
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup warm water
For the Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons tamari sauce
- Salt, to taste
To Make the Tofu:
- Press your tofu. Place drained tofu on baking sheet lined with a kitchen towel and paper towels, place more paper towels, and kitchen towel on top of tofu. Place another baking sheet on top, with a heavy skillet in pan, allow tofu to press for about 15 minutes.
- While tofu is being pressed, place crackers in a sealable plastic bag and crush with rolling pin. When crackers are all crushed add garlic, onion, chipotle, red pepper, and salt to zip bag and mix well.
- Empty crushed cracker mix in a small bowl and set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix ground flax seed and warm water until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and spray baking rack with cooking oil and place in baking pan, set aside.
- Take pressed tofu and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Whisk flax mixture to assure it's well combined, dip tofu into flax, then into crumbs, then place on a rack. If you don't have a rack, use a parchment-lined pan and turn your tofu halfway through cooking time.
- Bake for 15 minutes. While tofu bakes, prepare dipping sauce.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
To Make the Dipping Sauce:
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl until well combined.