In this recipe, crispy breaded chickpea cutlets are served with a savory homemade mushroom gravy — and the "breading" is gluten-free! Chickpeas have the perfect flavor and texture for this meal that'll win over anybody. Serve this alongside some fresh greens or any vegetable of your choosing.
Crispy Breaded Chickpea Cutlets in Mushroom Gravy [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Crispy Breaded Chickpea Cutlets in Mushroom Gravy [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Chickpea Cutlets:
- 1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas, liquid reserved
- 1 garlic clove
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons white miso (omit to make it grain-free)
- 1 tablespoons nutritional yeast
For the Breading:
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
For the Mushroom Gravy:
- 3/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch dissolved in 2 teaspoons filtered water
How to Prepare Crispy Breaded Chickpea Cutlets in Mushroom Gravy [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Chickpea Cutlets:
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients but the flour and process until smooth. Add the flour and pulse to blend. It should be soft enough to form into cutlets but not too sticky. If it is too sticky, add a little more flour. Shape into ovals, and set aside on a plate.
- Place the yeast and flaxseed, and sea salt in a bowl, and mix together. Place the aquafaba into another bowl. Line a sheet pan with parchment. Dip each cutlet into the aquafaba, then the yeast mixture to coat it. Place on the parchment lined tray. Spray with olive oil if desired.
- Place in a 400°F oven, and bake for about 20-30 minutes until heated through and browned at the edges.
To Make the Mushroom Gravy:
- Combine all ingredients but the arrowroot mixture and bring to a simmer. Cook until the mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the arrowroot and cook until thickened. Serve over the cutlets.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Almond Flour
- Nutritional Yeast / Nooch
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 805 | Total Carbs: 74 g | Total Fat: 37 g | Total Protein: 36 g | Total Sodium: 3294 g | Total Sugar: 9 g (Per Serving) Calories: 268 | Carbs: 25 g | Fat: 12 g | Protein: 12 g | Sodium: 1098 g | Sugar: 3 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.