Healthy zucchini pasta with tofu bacon made with simple ingredients you probably already have! A hearty pasta dish, with a smooth and velvety sauce, perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Creamy Zucchini Pasta With Tofu Bacon [Vegan]
For the Pasta:
- 2 cup pasta
- 4 zucchini 4 small or 2 large
- 1 diced white onion large
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar
- pinch of salt
For the Tofu Bacon:
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika or paprika
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Soak raw cashews in hot water. Set aside
- Drain your bloc of tofu and pat dry. Place in a mixing bowl, add soy sauce, maple syrup, liquid smoke, and pepper. With a fork, loosely crumble the tofu while stirring. Toss everything so the tofu is evenly coated.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add1 tablespoon of oil and the marinated tofu. Sautée, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking for 10 to 15 minutes or until tofu bacon has dried out and is crispy. Set aside.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Salt generously. Once water is boiling cook pasta following the instructions on the box.
- Peel and finely slice zucchini.
- In the same skillet used for tofu bacon, heat over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, minced garlic, diced onions. Add salt and pepper and sautée for 5 minutes or until the onion is fragrant and soft.
- Add sliced zucchini and keep cooking. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the zucchini is soft and slightly browned on the edges.
- Drain your soaked cashews. Transfer the sautéed zucchini and onions into a blender. Add drained cashews, lemon juice, water, nutritional yeast, tapioca starch (if using) and blend until smooth. Taste test for seasoning. Add more lemon juice if needed, salt, pepper or nutritional yeast for a more cheese-y flavor.
- Transfer the sauce back to your skillet and heat over low heat while stirring constantly. Once hot, add your drained pasta and toss to combine. Remove from heat.
- Serve warm, topped with a generous amount of tofu bacon and nutritional yeast.