Nothing beats a pot of rich, thick, warm potato soup bubbling on the stove. The key to this making this soup extra creamy is cashews. Rather than use heavy cream, they are blended together with potatoes. Then, it's topped off with some vegan pesto. Once your pesto is ready to go, just stir a big spoonful into each bowl of potatoey goodness and you’ll literally be licking your bowl clean! It’s that good.
Creamy Potato Soup With Pesto Swirl [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or vegan butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4-5 potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight (or at least 2 hours)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegan pesto
- Soak 1/2 cup cashews in water overnight or at least 2 hours before preparing recipe.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in diced onion and sauté until translucent. Add in minced garlic and cook for another minute. Pour in 4 cups of vegetable broth, cubed potatoes, thyme, and salt and pepper.
- Bring broth to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cover for 15-ish minutes (or until potatoes are fork tender). Use an immersion blender (or a potato masher will do) to blend the potatoes and onions until smooth.
- Use a high-speed blender to make your cashew cream. Simply drain your soaked cashews and blend on high with 1 1/2 cups of water until creamy and smooth. Pour the cashew cream into the potato soup and stir.
- Ladle soup into bowls and stir in a big spoonful of pesto.
- Potato Recipes