This recipe takes its cue from pumpkin butter by replacing your standard orange gourd with roasted kabocha, a seasonal squash hailing from Japan whose flavor has been described as a pumpkin combined with a sweet potato. Here it's combined with the sweet flavor of maple syrup and the warmth of ground cinnamon – yum! Enjoy your kabocha butter as a spread on crackers or apples, or grab a spoonful straight from the jar as a late night snack!
Creamy Kabocha Butter [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Creamy Kabocha Butter [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup baked kabocha, skin removed*
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
- A generous shake of cinnamon
How to Prepare Creamy Kabocha Butter [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer to a small pot and heat over high heat until it begins to bubble.
- Lower the heat and let simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool before transferring to a jar.
- Store in the fridge.
- Serve with crackers, spread on toast with nut butter, or spoon it on top of oatmeal, and enjoy!
*To bake the kabocha, cut in half, de-seed, and bake at 400°F for 30-40 minutes or until soft.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.