Warm, yet bright and colorful, this is the perfect soup transition from winter to spring. It's so thick and creamy that it can even be spread on a thick, rustic bread for a unique sandwich. While this soup is delicious on its own, if you want to lighten it, add a swirl of coconut or almond yogurt, and for added crunch throw in some pistachios.
Creamy Coconut Roasted Beet Soup [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-inch chunk of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 6 small beets, or 3 large, roasted and peeled
- 1 large local parsnip, large dice
- 2 medium local sweet potatoes, peeled and large dice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can full-fat, organic coconut milk
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
For the Garnish:
- Full-fat coconut or almond yogurt
- Pistachios, chopped
- Sliced radishes
- In a large dutch oven, or large pot, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, garlic, and ginger, stirring often, until caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Add parsnips and sweet potatoes, and sauté for another 4-5 minutes, then add stock and coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat. Add beets, and continue to simmer until parsnips and sweet potatoes are tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Using a blender, blend soup until desired smoothness.
- Garnish with a dollop or swirl of coconut yogurt, chopped pistachios, greens, and fresh radishes.