This creamy chickpeas dish is very versatile and works as a salad topper, sandwich filler, or as a stand-alone dish. Turmeric is the flavor boost and major nutrient-rich ingredient of the mixture and is widely known as an inflammatory agent.
Creamy Chickpeas With Turmeric, Black Cumin, and Parsley [Vegan]
- 1 small yellow/white onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- Handful of cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup soy milk (or other unsweetened non-dairy milk of your choice), a little more if needed for consistency
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, thoroughly rinsed
- 1 teaspoon black cumin
- 1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Optional: cayenne pepper
- Dry sauté the onion in a frying-pan on medium heat. This means no oil is needed – it makes it healthier – just make sure to stir frequently. When the onions have softened and gotten some color, after about five minutes, add the garlic and the turmeric powder quickly followed by the white wine to de-glaze the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the cashew nuts, the nutritional yeast, and the milk and blend it all together with a hand blender. If needed, add a little more milk for consistency. Add salt and cayenne to taste.
- Place the pan on the stove again, on very low heat and add the chickpeas, black cumin, and parsley and combine it all while the chickpeas become warm (not hot) throughout - this will not take long, half a minute to a minute perhaps, so make sure it doesn't burn or dry out!
- Then remove from the stove and serve immediately.