If you love trying new flavors, then you have to try this creamy chickpea soup. It's made from puréed chickpeas seasoned with fresh herbs, black tahini, and za'atar, a tasty Middle Eastern spice blend. Serve this comforting soup with a garnish of nuts and crunchy toast.
Creamy Chickpea Soup With Black Tahini and Za’atar [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Soup:
- 1 cup dry chickpeas
- 1 onion
- 1 spring of parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 6 1/3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- A little bit of lemon juice
For the Toppings:
- Black tahini
- Red chili flakes
- Lemon zest
- Sesame seeds
- Nuts of choice
- Chickpeas pour in the water and leave to soak for at least 10 hours. Then, cook according to package instructions until tender.
- In a pot, add 1 tablespoon oil and heat on medium. Add the chopped onion. Stir-fry about 3 minutes. Add chopped garlic and cumin. Add peeled and diced parsley. Cook another minute.
- Add drained chickpeas (if you want you can add the water from boiling, just be sure to adjust the amount of broth).
- Add the broth. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Blend soup into a smooth cream.
- Season the soup with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Serve with black tahini, za'atar, or nuts.