If you tell your friends you made ice cream out of sweet potatoes, they may furrow their brow and ask what's wrong with you, but just wait until they taste it. You already knew potatoes were magical, but this puts them to the test and on a pedestal. Creamy, sweet, and rich — yes!
The Creamiest Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/3 cup of mashed purple sweet potatoes (1 medium-sized uncooked sweet potato)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut nectar
- Cream from 1 can of full-fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons spiced rum
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Vegan whipped cream as topping
- First boil the sweet potato in a small pot, covering it with enough water, and let it simmer on low heat, covered, until cooked.
- Add all ingredients except rum into a high-speed blender.
- Add only the fat of the coconut milk, preserving the watery milk for later use.
- Using a high-speed blender, blend 10 for 5 minutes, or until it thickens.
- Add the rum and blend briefly.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream container (you can use bread baking pans lined with parchment paper).
- Add 2 tablespoons of coconut whip cream in the middle and create some swirls using a chopstick.
- Cover and freeze until firm.
- The ice cream will stay soft and you will be surprised there is no ice crystals, just soft creamy ice cream that tastes amazing.
- Serve in a bowl or in ice cream cones and top with more coconut whip cream.