This amazing pie combines sweetness, tartness and nuttiness into one amazing pie!
Cranberry Pecan Pie with Candied Pecans [Vegan]
- 3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- cold water as needed
- 1 cup cubed vegan butter (or 2 sticks)
- 2 cups candied pecans
- 3 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 cups pecans
- 3 tsblespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed + 2 tbsp water, set for 5 min.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together flour, salt, & sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter using hands until texture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the ice cold water a tablespoon at a time until a dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out to fit a 9-inch pie pan. Place the crust in the pie pan and press it down evenly to cover the bottom and sides of the pan. If needed, cut off any excess, but make sure to leave about an inch. At this point you can add a design to the crust if you wish.
- In a food processor, combine cranberries, maple syrup, coconut sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, corn starch, and flax egg until well blended. It shouldn’t be like a paste, but rather a coarse texture with small bits.
- Place cranberry mixture in small bowl. Take 2 cups of pecans and spread them over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Roast them for about 10 minutes. making sure to check on them so they don’t burn. Take them out and mix them in with the cranberry mixture.
- Mix the candied pecans in with the cranberry mixture as well.
- Place filling inside the crust. Spread evenly
- Brush crust with melted vegan butter. This will make it a perfect golden brown. Before placing in oven, cover JUST the crust with foil, to insure it doesn’t burn and the rest of the pie cooks through.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is firm. Enjoy!