This stuffed Kuri squash makes for a beautiful centerpiece for your next big celebration. The quinoa is simmered in coconut milk with a combination of warm, soul-hugging spices: curry powder, coriander, and cardamom. The sweetness of the coconut and dried apricot, the warmth of the spices, texture from the sunflower seeds, and a bit of freshness from the arugula make this an all-around fantastic meal.
Coconut Quinoa Stuffed Kuri Squash [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Coconut Quinoa Stuffed Kuri Squash [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 large Kuri squash, cut in half and seeded
- 1 13.66-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- A handful of arugula
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup whole dried apricots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
How to Prepare Coconut Quinoa Stuffed Kuri Squash [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut the squash in half and place it, cut-side down, on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, bring coconut milk to a boil, add rinsed quinoa and spices (curry, coriander, and cardamom), cover, and reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the burner and allow to sit covered for an additional 10 minutes (do not lift the cover).
- Dice the apricots and place in a medium bowl with sunflower seeds and hand torn arugula, removing any large stems from the arugula.
- Remove squash from oven and allow to cool to he point you can handle them comfortably.
- Measure out 2 cups cooked quinoa, reserving the remaining cup for another use.
- Mix the cooked quinoa with the apricots, sunflower seeds, and arugula.
- Stuff each half of the squash with quinoa. Cut each half in half and serve.
- If serving as a side, cut each half again so each original Kuri half yields four servings
- Serve immediately.
This can be made up to two days in advance. Store in the refrigerator and simply reheat in a 350°F oven for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.