Fish made from plants? Amazing, right? There are plenty of mock meats nowadays, however mock fish seems to be a rarity on the shop shelves. Since fish is such a unique texture and flavor, it’s a hard one to mimic, but this one has got it. This recipe uses hearts of palm, an ingredient that’s probably not in your everyday pantry. Yet this odd asparagus-like vegetable that is harvested from palm trees is easily found in tins, probably next to the artichoke hearts that also create that seafood texture. These have a flaky texture that has the taste of the sea. For a more powerful taste of seafood, add kelp powder or finely chopped seaweed.
Coconut-Crusted Fishless Sticks [Vegan]
For the Fishless Fingers:
- 1 14-ounce can of hearts of palm
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
For the Dill Mayonaisse:
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
To Make the Fishless Fingers:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and prepare a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Drain the tin of palm of hearts well and transfer them to a bowl. Using two forks, tear and rip part the hearts into thin stringy pieces. Ensure there are no long pieces or very chunky pieces remaining.
- Add sea salt, garlic powder, and 2 tablespoons brown rice flour to the palm of hearts and stir in.
- In one shallow bowl, add the rest of the brown rice flour.
- In another, add non-dairy milk and whisk in the cornflour.
- In another, add the coconut.
- One by one, take a heaped tablespoon of the palm of heart mixture and roll into a sausage shape, and flatten slightly into a fish finger-like shape.
- Coat in the brown rice flour, then dip into the milk mixture, then to the coconut. Place this onto your lined baking tray. Repeat until the all mixture has been used.
- Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes of until golden brown.
To Make the Dill Mayo:
- While the fish filets are cooking: Whisk together all the ingredients and transfer to a small dipping bowl. Chill until you are ready to serve.
- Hearts of Palm
- Rice Flour