I did quite a lot of research for different kinds of vegan pie crust and coconut cream fillings. Most of the recipes sounded extremely rich, as lots of the fillings used cashews as the base. I wanted to keep it a bit lighter, so I used silken tofu. This pie is not for people who are afraid of a bit of oil though, as a flakey pie crust just doesn’t work without it. The fat used in this pie is coconut oil, so it’s not all bad and tastes delicious!
Coconut Cream Pie With Blackberry Chia Jam [Vegan]
2 small pies or 1 large one
Ingredients You Need for Coconut Cream Pie With Blackberry Chia Jam [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups spelt pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (solid, best if put in the freezer for a few minutes)
- 8 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 1 package silken tofu
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (full-fat from a can, only use the solid part)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (extract or pure ground up vanilla bean)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/3 cups shredded coconut
- 1 squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
For the Berry Chia Jam:
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon agave (or another sweetener of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
How to Prepare Coconut Cream Pie With Blackberry Chia Jam [Vegan]
To Make the Crust:
- Combine flour and salt and blend in the very cold coconut oil with the help of a fork or two knives. Work it in until the mixture gets crumbly.
- Stir in the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time and mix will until the dough forms a ball and holds together well. Make sure there are no large coconut oil clumps left!
- Cover and put in the fridge for an hour.
To Make the Filling:
- Mix everything together, except for about ⅓ of the shredded coconut and the maple syrup. It's the easiest to put everything in a blender to do so.
- Taste test and first add half of the maple syrup and adjust sweetness to your taste.
- If you decide to omit the berry chia jam, I would highly suggest adding in some lemon juice, to give the filling a little bit of freshness (the slight tartness of the berries helps with this otherwise).
To Make the Chia Jam:
- Put blackberries and lemon juice in a small sauce pan and heat them up until they boil – they will start to break down and you can speed up the process if you use the back of a fork to mush them up.
- After about 5 minutes, turn of the heat and add in the agave. Stir until it is dissolved.
- Take away from the heat and stir in the chia seeds – let it sit for about 10 minutes to let the seeds gel up.
- Let it cool down a bit and transfer in an airtight glass container and store it in the fridge.
To Assemble the Pie:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Take the dough of the fridge, separate into two portions and press into your pie forms (you might need to grease your forms, so that it will be easier to get the pie out later).
- Make sure the dough is spread around evenly, if there is too much dough at one end, simply pull it off and use it for an extra pie (for example in a muffin cup).
- Now is the time to add a layer of berry chia jam to the bottom (a few spoonfuls should do the trick. You'll have leftovers.)
- Pour the filling into the crust, make sure not to overfill, as it will rise a bit while baking. There will be some leftover of this too!
- Put in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Carefully take the pies out and sprinkle the remaining shredded coconut on top and put back into the oven.
- Depending on your oven, you will have to bake the pie for another 20-30 minutes. Start keeping a close eye on it after 20 minutes - you want the shredded coconut to start browning a bit, but not to burn!
- After taking it out and letting it cool down, you can put it in the fridge or enjoy it straight away.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 3548 | Total Carbs: 281 g | Total Fat: 245 g | Total Protein: 61 g | Total Sodium: 1319 g | Total Sugar: 92 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.