Brownies. They seem so boring and normal and aren’t there a billion brownie recipes out there already? So, it was time to find my own perfect brownie recipe, without butter or eggs. Impossible? No way! Behold!
Cocoa Brownies With Chocolate Fudge Frosting [Vegan]
For the Brownies:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 7 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
For the Frosting:
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
To Make the Brownies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F, grease an 8x8-inch pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the granulated sugar, baking soda, vanilla, and coconut oil. After all is incorporated, add the apple cider vinegar, flour, cocoa powder, salt and milk. Beat until mixture is smooth and pourable. If the batter is too thick, add another tablespoon or so of milk and beat again.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Set aside to cool before frosting.
To Make the Frosting:
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk together while mixture starts to thicken and slightly bubble, this should take about 4-5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue whisking for another 2-3 minutes, or until frosting is thick. Let cool slightly before frosting brownies.
Frosting adapted from Fran Costigan