Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Nothing says "classic" like a strawberry rhubarb pie — especially a strawberry rhubarb pie with a lattice crust. This is the kind of pie you'd expect to see cooling on a windowsill. A brush of coconut cream helps the sprinkling of demerara sugar stick to the crust, giving the top of the pie a golden brown sparkle.
Classic Strawberry Rhubarb Pie [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Classic Strawberry Rhubarb Pie [Vegan]
- 2 9-inch vegan pie crusts
- 1 1/2 pound rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 pounds strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
How to Prepare Classic Strawberry Rhubarb Pie [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Arrange one crust in the bottom of a pie pan, pressing the bottom and sides of the crust. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the rhubarb, strawberries, brown sugar, white sugar, salt, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Toss to combine. Transfer the berries and rhubarb to the pie shell, leaving any excess liquid in the bottom of the bowl and spread evenly into the crust.
- Cut the remaining crust into 1-inch strips. The strips on the ends should be reserved for the end pieces on the pie and the center strips are used for the center pieces. Weave a lattice crust, then tuck any loose ends underneath the overhang of the bottom crust and pinch the edges into a decorative border. Brush the crust with the coconut cream and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil to catch any spills. Bake for 20 minutes at 400°F, then turn the oven down to 350°F and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature. Serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 328 | Carbs: 54 g | Fat: 13 g | Protein: 1 g | Sodium: 335 mg | Sugar: 20 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.