This delightful cinnamon roll cake tastes just like the beloved sweet pastry — in cake form! It's decadent and gluten-free with a sweet layer of vanilla cake topped with cinnamon-y goodness. Then, it's covered in a sweet cream cheese frosting and garnished with walnuts. Yum!
Cinnamon Roll Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cake:
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Filling:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free all-purpose flour
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- A shake of cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond milk and vinegar. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, beat together the almond milk mixture, coconut oil, and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking soda, and sea salt. Beat until smooth. Pour batter into cake pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat together the filling ingredients. Once smooth, drop by spoonfuls over the cake batter. Swirl into the batter using a knife.
- Bake cake for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, beat together the frosting ingredients.
- Once cake is cooled, spread frosting generously over cake, making sure to frost the sides. Add walnuts if using.