If you’re craving something sweet with a little fall vibe to it, then this chocolate pumpkin bread is what you need. It’s completely plant-based, covered in chocolate, and sprinkled with dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds for that perfect combination of sweet, chocolatey, and sour.
Chocolate Walnut Pumpkin Bread [Vegan]
1 9x5-inch loaf
- 1 1/2 cups whole spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3.5 ounces vegan dark chocolate (at least 70 percent cacao content)
- 1/3 cup, plus 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 flax seed eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax seeds plus 6 tablespoons water)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- A pinch of salt
- Dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with baking paper.
- In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and ginger. Then stir in the wet ingredients — pumpkin purée, milk, olive oil ,and flax eggs. Chop a half of the dark chocolate into small pieces and stir it into the pumpkin bread mixture. Combine well.
- Transfer the mixture into the loaf pan and put into the oven. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Cool completely.
- While the pumpkin bread is cooling, melt the rest of the dark chocolate by putting pieces of it into a small saucepan which is put over a bigger saucepan with a bit (about 1/2 cup) of boiling water in it. Wait until the chocolate melts and pour it over the pumpkin bread. Finally, sprinkle the bread with dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds.