This vegan chocolate swiss roll is not only much healthier than the original you might recall from your childhood, but also extremely tasty! It is refined sugar-free and naturally sweetened thanks to the use of dates and maple syrup. With a crunchy chocolate shell on the outside, a soft chocolate dough beneath, and a creamy coconut filling, it is the perfect combination for a heavenly treat!
Chocolate Swiss Roll [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Chocolate Dough:
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 2-3 tablespoons water
For the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 chilled 14.5-ounce can full-fat coconut cream (only the solid part)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Shell:
- 1 1/2 cups of melted vegan dark chocolate (or 1/8 cup melted coconut oil, 1/2 cup raw cacao powder, and 3 tablespoons of maple syrup)
- Place all the ingredients in a high-speed blender and mix until you get a smooth dough.
- Line a square baking tin with parchment paper. Once the dough is ready, spread it evenly in the tin, pressing down with your fingers.
- Place the baking tin in your freezer for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the coconut whip by scooping out only the firm part of cream from the can and placing it in a chilled bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and use a mixer to whip it up.
- Take out the dough from the freezer and remove it from the tin with the parchment paper and evenly spread the coconut whip on top.
- Slowly start rolling up the dough from one side until you have a firm roll.
- Place the roll back into the freezer and melt/prepare your chocolate.
- Either melt your vegan dark chocolate or whisk together the ingredients for your homemade chocolate sauce.
- When ready, pour the chocolate over the roll, add toppings and let it dry in the refrigerator or freezer. Let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes before eating when storing in the freezer.