How do you make meringues even better? You add chocolate, of course. These crispy, light-as-air meringues have melted chocolate swirled into the batter. Sweet and sugary, they're melt-in-your-mouth good and so easy to make. If you've never worked with aquafaba before, these are a must-try.
Chocolate Swirled Meringues [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Aquafaba (liquid from a 15.5-ounce can of chickpeas)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Drain the liquid from the chickpeas into the bowl of your mixer (reserve the chickpeas for another use). Using the whisk attachment, beat at high speed for 5 minutes. Gradually add the sugar, followed by the cream of tartar and vanilla. Continue beating until stiff peaks form, about 3-5 more minutes. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top and use a large spoon to make a few swoops through the meringue (don’t overdo it).
- Scoop the meringue in spoonfuls onto your prepared baking sheets and bake, switching the pans about halfway through, for 2-3 hours, or until completely dry to the touch. Turn oven off, open the door slightly, and leave trays in for another hour.
- When cooled, store in an airtight container at room temperature. Meringues will start to lose their crispness in a few days, depending on the humidity.