Sunflower seeds add a surprise texture to these softly crunchy chocolate chip cookies. Bake a few dozen for your cookie jar and your tummy.
Chocolate Sunflower Protein Cookies [Vegan]
- 1 cup dairy-free butter
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup protein powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed kernels
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cut parchment paper to fit on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Add the butter and sugar to the bowl of stand mixer and mix together on medium-low speed for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix ground chia seeds with 6 tablespoons water and set aside.
- Mix together the flour, protein powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the vanilla and chia mixture to the butter mixture. Mix until well blended. Mix in the flour mixture a little at a time. On low speed, mix in the chocolate chips and sunflower seeds.
- Form into round balls and set on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Flatten to about 1/2 inch thick. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.