Friends, I'm not even a beer person and I'm in love with this recipe. I've made stout cupcake recipes before and, if I had to pick my favorite, it's this recipe! If you are a novice baker, these cupcakes are easy to make and full of flavor. They're moist and have some rich coffee undertones. Just be sure the stout you pick is vegan; there are some wonderful choices out there.
Chocolate Stout Cupcakes With Irish Cream Frosting [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 c. organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 c. organic sugar
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder, aluminum-free
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 c. coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 1 c. vegan stout
- 1 c. organic non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 1/4 c. homemade Irish Cream (ingredients below)
- 4 c. vegan powdered sugar
- 2/3 c. Irish whiskey
- 1 tsp. instant coffee
- 2 tsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 10 medjool dates, pitted
- 3 c. almond milk, or other type of non-dairy milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a muffin tin with parchment cups.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Combine the materials and make a well in the middle of the bowl.
- Have the liquid ingredients measured and ready to go before you start to pour. Pour both the beer and vinegar/oil into the well. Stir well - no stand mixer required!
- Fill the parchment cups about 2/3 of the way full - these cupcakes really puff up! You should be able to get at least 12 cupcakes from this recipe. Bake them for 20-25 minutes.
- You don't have to, but I rotated my pan after ten minutes of baking. Hey, Erin McKenna does it, so I'm doing it too!
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- For the icing: cream the shortening, Irish cream, and powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl. It should not have a super-stiff consistency, but it should be able to hold its shape. If it seems too loose, add some more powdered sugar.
- Using a piping bag or a knife, frost these bad boys! You'll be so glad that you did!