This pie is smooth and creamy, with a rich chocolate taste and the perfect hint of peanut butter. On top of the hemp heart crust, which is slightly chewy and packed with so many health benefits, I’m pretty sure you could argue this as breakfast pie. Or at least dessert before dinner pie. Sometimes that’s necessary.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Base:
- 2/3 cup hemp hearts
- 8 dates
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 2/3 cup raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons raw agave
For the Filling:
- 1 can coconut milk, refrigerated until separated – use only the top white, thick layer
- 1/2 large avocado, or one small
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 10 dates, soaked in boiling water, skin removed
- 2/3 cup cacao
To Make the Base:
- Add all of the base ingredients to a food processor and pulse until ground up and a crumbly mixture forms. It should stick together easily when you push it down with a spoon. Do not over process as the mixture will go too smooth.
- Prepare your pan by cutting out a circle of parchment paper the size of the base to set inside.
- When your base mixture is ready, set the parchment paper circle inside a 9 inch tart shell or a 9 inch spring form pan, and dump the hemp heart base mixture on top. Spread it out evenly with your hands, pushing some up the sides to make the pie edge, and then pressing it firmly into place all over the pan.
- Set the base in the refrigerator to harden.
To Make the Filling:
- Add the coconut cream (top layer of the can of refrigerated coconut milk), cacao, dates, avocado and peanut butter to the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and creamy, scraping often. It should be thick, with no lumps in it.
- When the filling is finished, pour it into the base, smooth it out and return the pie to the refrigerator to set for two hours. Leave in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, garnish with chocolate and hemp hearts and slice using a warm knife.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator.
Be sure to choose certified gluten-free oats to ensure there's no gluten in the recipe.