A delicious and healthy Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Spread or Vegan Nutella, that contains only 5 ingredients! This Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Spread only requires 2 main ingredients: hazelnuts and dark chocolate.
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread [Vegan]
- 4 cups hazelnuts
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 2 teaspoons agave syrup
- Preheat oven to 340°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Toss raw hazelnuts on the baking tray and place in preheated oven to roast for about 15 minutes. Stir the nuts once or twice to ensure an even roast.
- Once the hazelnuts turn a darker shade and the skin starts to come off, remove them from the oven and immediately transfer them to a kitchen towel and roll them around in the towel with your hands. This will help the skin come off easily. Discard the skins.
- Add roasted hazelnuts to a food processor or a high-speed blender and blend until nut butter forms. Depending on your food processor this may take several minutes (it took us about 10 minutes) and you may need to stop and scrape down the sides as needed.
- While the nut butter is blending, break apart dark chocolate and melt it over a hot water bath (bain-marie).
- When the nut butter is creamy, add in the melted dark chocolate. You can also add in a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of vanilla paste or vanilla extract. Blend to combine.
- Taste your chocolate hazelnut spread. Depending on your taste, add 2 teaspoons of agave syrup.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.