Serve these delicious stuffed dates as a snack or with coffee after dinner. Almonds, walnuts, and pistachios are grown throughout Greece on the mainland and the islands, and they feature in many sweet and savory recipes from savory sauces and dips, such as skordalia, to traditional honey-soaked pastries and sweetmeats.
Chocolate Drizzled Stuffed Dates [Vegan]
- 18 medjool dates
- generous 1/3 cup almond or walnut butter
- 3 1/2 ounces semi-sweet (plain) chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
- 3/4 cup (3 oz/80 g) finely chopped almonds or pistachios
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make a slit down the side of each date and take out the pit (stone). Gently open the date to form a pocket and spoon a teaspoon of nut butter inside.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl suspended over a saucepan of gently simmering water (if using white chocolate as well, melt this separately). Stir and remove from the heat.
- Dip a fork into the melted chocolate and drizzle over the dates, then sprinkle with nuts. Alternatively, dip a stuffed date into the melted chocolate until half covered, then dip into the chopped nuts. Place on the lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining dates.
- Transfer to the freezer for about 20 minutes, or until the chocolate sets.
- Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Variations: Use peanut, cashew, or macadamia nut butter. Instead of nut butter use cream cheese sweetened with Greek honey and orange zest, or a paste of ground almonds, agave syrup, and orange blossom water.