Who said pizzas have to be cheesy or savory? This dessert pie has a chocolate and almond oat base smothered in a chocolate hazelnut spread and topped with fresh cherries, coconut flakes, and dark chocolate shavings. The thin, crisp crust makes the indulgent toppings shine in the spotlight.
Chocolate Cherry Pizza Tart [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup gluten-free large flake oats
- 1 cup almond pulp or ground almonds (see . notes)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Splash almond milk, if needed
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate hazelnut spread, plus more if needed
- 12-15 fresh cherries, plus more if desired
- Coconut flakes, for topping
- Dark chocolate, chopped, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss almond pulp and oats into a food processor and blend to combine. In a saucepan, melt coconut oil on medium-high heat and add maple syrup, cocoa powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Add liquid mixture to the food processor and blend pie crust ingredients it becomes a dough-like texture (approximately 3-5 minutes). And a splash of almond milk if needed for blending.
- Create your circular tart crust by pressing the mixture into the bottom of a cake pan with removable bottom. Use a 8-inch cake pan with removable bottoms to make a pizza with a 1-inch thick base. Optional: spray the bottom of the cake pan with some coconut oil to stop the crust from sticking.
- Place in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Then remove from oven and let cool completely before popping it out the cake tray.
- When cooled, smother tart in chocolate hazelnut spread leaving approximately 1/2-inch for the crust. Top with fresh cherries, coconut flakes, and dark chocolate shavings. Cut into slices and serve.
Almond pulp is the leftovers from making homemade almond milk. Instead of tossing the pulp, use it as almond meal in this recipe. It can be damp when using; there's no need to dry it out, or pre-bake it.