This creamy mousse is subtly spiced with chāi flavors. The ground tea leaves give it a slightly astringent and bitter taste that contrasts well with sweet berries. This is best when fresh berries are at their summertime peak. The creaminess comes from silken tofu, available in vacuum-packed containers in the Asian or dairy aisles of many supermarkets. Not only is this dessert delicious, but it’s also nutritious! Dark chocolate and berries are rich in antioxidants. Berries have anti-cancer properties, and dark chocolate plays a role in heart health, too.
Recipe from Plant-Based India: Nourishing Recipes Rooted in Tradition © Dr. Sheil Shukla, 2022. Reprinted by permission of The Experiment. Available everywhere books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com
Chocolate Chāi Mousse with Berries [Vegan]
- 1 cup (150 g) 60 to 70 percent dark or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or desired sweetener
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened nondairy milk (such as oat or soy)
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons chāi masala (page 239)
- 1 teaspoon black tea leaves, optional
- 12 ounces (340 g) silken tofu, at room temperature and drained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh berries, such as raspberries, sliced strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries
- Prepare a double boiler with 2 cups (240 ml) water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low, keeping the water at a simmer. Place a steel or heatproof glass bowl on top. Be sure that it does not touch the water.
- Add the chocolate, maple syrup, milk, chāi masālā, and tea leaves (if using) to the double boiler and stir with a spatula until fully melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Alternatively, in a microwave, melt using 15-second pulses, stirring after each pulse. Be very careful not to scorch the chocolate.
- Pour the chocolate mixture, tofu, vanilla, and salt into a blender, and blend until very smooth. Adjust the sweetener and chāi masālā to taste.
- Divide among 4 to 6 small cups, cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve with fresh berries on top.