This dessert starts with a chocolate chai-spiced cake. It's then topped with a thick glaze, made from dates with a unique hint of flavor from the barley malt. Top with blueberries and pecans for a dessert that's simply divine!
Chocolate Chai Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose, gluten-free, or whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar of choice
- Big pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup carob powder or cacao
- 1/4 cup vegan protein powder with 1 teaspoon each cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup oil of choice
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dates, soaked then drained
- 1/4 cup barley malt powder
- 1/8 cup vegan protein powder with 1 teaspoon each cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons good-quality coffee powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 356°F and spray a springform pan solidly.
- Mix your dry ingredients and then add your wet ingredients, stirring with a spatula until just combined.
- Pour into the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until it bounces slightly to the touch and/or comes away clean with a toothpick.
- Let it cool completely on a rack before frosting.
- Store in the fridge for a super fudgy cake, or else keep in the pantry in an air-tight container.
- Blend until smooth, then spread over cooled cake. Thicken if desired with another 1/4 cup carob/cacao powder.
- Store in the fridge until ready to use.