Gazpacho is hands down my favorite thing to eat in the summertime since it combines all the tastiest vegetables summer has to offer. Since this soup is served ice cold, there is no need to turn on your oven in the hot weather. Did I mention it is cruelty free, fat free and gluten free? Oh gazpacho, you couldn’t get more perfect.
Chipotle Gazpacho [Vegan]
- 2 lbs. tomatoes, cored and cut into small cubes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into small cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small cubes
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into small cubes (I used a very large cucumber but 2 small ones would be acceptable)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ears of corn, kerneled (I grilled my corn for this recipe but using peak season fresh corn is an excellent substitution)
- 1 ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce minced plus 1 tbsp. adobo sauce
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
- 7 tbsp. lime juice from 3 limes plus 2 tsp. lime zest (Zest before you juice!) plus a few lime wedges to garnish
- 1.36 liter can of low sodium tomato juice (not vegetable cocktail juice)
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into cubes to garnish
- Ice cubes to serve
- Combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumber, shallot, garlic and corn in a very large bowl (4 quarts at least! If you don’t have a bowl that big, use a large pot instead). Season with 1 ½ tsp. salt and gently combine. The vegetables will taste very salty at this stage. Let the vegetables sit for 5 minutes, the salt helps release their juices, which will flavor the soup.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and stir until well combined. Cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days but at least 4 hours to blend the flavors. This soup is one of those recipes that gets better with time so if you can, let the soup blend overnight.
- Serve with chopped avocado and lime wedges.
Lasts up to three days in the fridge so eat up!