This seaweed salad is refreshing, healthy, and a great addition to a dinner of East Asian-inspired cuisine. With the homemade Chinese-style spicy dressing, you'll definitely want to pile your plate up with a second helping.
Chinese Seaweed Salad [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Chinese Seaweed Salad [Vegan]
- 2 ounces dried kombu kelp seaweed
- 6 cups water
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup spice broth (see note)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (see note)
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan pepper corn
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 medium size star anise
- 1 piece whole clove
- 1/2 piece tsaoko fruit
- 2 bay leaf
- 4 pieces sand ginger
- 1 piece cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 cups water
How to Prepare Chinese Seaweed Salad [Vegan]
- In a large bowl, soak kombu kelp seaweed in warm water for approximately 10 minutes to allow it to swell. Rinse and drain. Cut the seaweed into thin slices.
- While the seaweed is soaking, mix together the dressing ingredients except sesame seeds.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the sliced seaweed to the boiling water and let it boil for 1 minute. Rinse the blanched seaweed with cold water in a strainer and drain well. Place the seaweed in the mixing bowl with the shredded carrot and cilantro.
- Pour the dressing into the mixing bowl and gently toss. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve cold. To Make the Broth:
- Place 1 1/2 cups water and all spices into a pot, bring the water to boil, abd then set the heat to medium-low to simmer for about 30 minutes. Boiling fast will not brew the spices properly.
- Remove from heat and let the spice broth steep/rest till it cools down to room temperature. Strain the broth through a very fine mesh strainer to remove spices.
The spice broth can be stored in refrigerator up to 10 days. Ingredients can be found in Asian grocery stores.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.