The nice thing about tofu is that it is protein dense and can easily be incorporated into a dish to improve the protein stats. In a similar fashion, these richly seasoned and flavorful chickpea-based protein powerhouses are great for topping salads or other dishes. Unlike tofu, they are more like firm bread in consistency, quite fun and filling. This recipe is reprinted with permission from Power Vegan Meals by Maya Sozer, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017.
Chickpea Tofu With Tahini Sauce [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Chickpea Tofu With Tahini Sauce [Vegan]
For the Chickpea Tofu:
- 2 cups garbanzo bean flour
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
For the Tahini Sauce:
- 1⁄4 cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds (optional)
How to Prepare Chickpea Tofu With Tahini Sauce [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, combine all the chickpea tofu ingredients with 3/4 cup of water and mix well.
- Line a baking pan (I used a 5-inch by 7–inch pan) with parchment paper, and pour in the batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let cool completely and cut into bite-size pieces.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the tahini sauce ingredients and 2 tablespoons of water (add more water if the tahini is too thick).
- Serve the chickpea tofu on a bed of arugula, topped with the tahini sauce.
- This recipe is reprinted with permission from Power Vegan Meals by Maya Sozer, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017. Photos by Maya Sozer.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Asian Sauce Recipes
- Chickpea Flour
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 359 | Carbs: 37g | Fat: 17g | Protein: 19g | Sodium: 859mgNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.