This recipe is full of flavor and goes along perfectly with a side of rice or naan!
Chickpea Curry [Vegan, Gluten Free]
- 2.5 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tuemeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped dried curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Over medium heat in a dutch oven or large skillet, add 1.5 tbsp oil. Once warm, add chopped onions. Cook until translucent and very soft (approx. 8 minutes).
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Toss in the water and all of the spices. Stir quickly to ensure spices do not burn and water is well incorporated. Continuously stir gently for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cooked chickpeas, 1 tbsp of oil and salt. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring every once and a while.
- Lower heat to med-low and add in coconut milk and tomato paste, combine well. Cover and allow to cook for 20-30 minutes. Be sure to stir every once and a while.
- Remove from heat and add additional salt to taste if required. If desired, top with fresh cilantro and pour over Basmati rice.