These cupcakes bring together two flavors that are always a winning combo — almond and cherry! A little bit of almond meal is mixed into the batter in substitute of a portion of the flour, bringing a unique texture and little bits of nutty goodness in every bite and a pink cherry frosting is piled high on top of each cupcake. Even though almond meal is denser than all-purpose flour, these cupcakes still turn out incredibly light and fluffy.
Cherry Almond Cupcakes [Vegan]
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 1/2–2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup almond flour/meal
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the Frosting:
- 12 tablespoons vegan butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons maraschino cherry liquid
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Cherries, for topping
To Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, combine almond milk and vinegar. Set aside.
- In your mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, almond meal, cornstarch, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add the coconut oil and almond extract to the almond milk, then add the whole mixture to the flour. Mix well, scraping down the outside and bottom to get all the flour out.
- Place cupcakes in cupcake liners and bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool completely.
To Make the Frosting:
- Place vegan butter in mixer and mix until smooth. Gradually add in the powdered sugar, alternating with the cherry liquid. Finally,add in the almond extract and mix until smooth. Place the frosting in a piping bag and ice cupcakes once they are cooled. Top with a cherry.