This pasta dish was created in honor of the Hamburger Helper meals we all enjoyed as kids. Featuring a vegan ground beef as the star of the show, it stays true to its muse with a “meaty” flavor and texture. This savory, garlicky, creamy pasta will surely satisfy the whole family. As a one-pot meal, this recipe couldn’t be easier and is the perfect dish for a busy weeknight dinner. Make extra, as it heats up well and can be enjoyed throughout the week.
Reprinted with permission from Delicious AF Vegan by Lauren Boehme. Page Street Publishing Co. 2023. Photo credit: Lauren Boehme and Julie Grace.
Cheezy Hamburger Shells [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Cheezy Hamburger Shells [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (12- to 16-oz [336- to 448-g]) package vegan ground beef
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups (1.4 L) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) ketchup
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 16 oz (448 g) pasta shells, medium or large
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) oat milk or other non-dairy milk
- 3 cups (339 g) vegan Cheddar-style shreds
- Green onions, tomatoes and pickles, for topping (optional)
How to Prepare Cheezy Hamburger Shells [Vegan]
- In a large nonstick skillet or pot over medium-heat, heat the olive oil. (The pot should be large enough to cook the pasta.) Add the onion and garlic, and sauté, reducing the heat as needed, for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the beef, breaking it up into crumbles using a wooden spoon. Toss with the onion and garlic, and sauté until the beef is brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Transfer the beef, onion and garlic to a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In the same skillet or pot, add the vegetable broth, ketchup, soy sauce and a pinch of salt and pepper, and whisk to combine. Heat over medium-high, and bring the liquid to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium so it is still at a simmer but not at a high boil.
- Add the pasta and stir to combine everything. Make sure the pasta is submerged in the liquid, and simmer, stirring frequently and pressing the pasta back down into the liquid until the pasta is al dente. Check your package for timing; it may need a few extra minutes. I usually simmer for about 15 minutes. The pasta will absorb most of the liquid. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Return the beef, onion and garlic back to the skillet or pot, and toss to combine everything. Add the milk, cheese and another pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine everything, letting the cheese melt, and stirring a few more times until the cheese is fully melted and the sauce is creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve immediately with green onions, tomatoes and/or pickles on top, if desired.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.