Nutrient-rich, cheesy, and comforting but there’s no cheese insight! How is that possible? How can you achieve that creamy, dreamy, cheesy flavor without dairy or a long list of scary ingredients often found in vegan cheese? The secret ingredient…..nutritional yeast.
Cheesy Broccoli Soup [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 large carrots shredded
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large pot, cook the onions in the coconut oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and dijon and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the plant-based milk, water, and broccoli.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Turn off heat and stir in nutritional yeast.
- Remove the soup and puree in a blender.
- Pour it back into the pot, add shredded carrots and bring to a gentle simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in nutmeg and lemon juice and serve