This crunchy salad hails from Nepal, which borders India in the northeast. The salad is prepared with a special masala called gorkha, and that, together with the tamarind, give the salad a unique flavor. Excerpt from The Essential Vegan Indian Cookbook by Priya Lakshminarayan, published by Rockridge Press. Copyright © 2021 by Callisto Media, Inc. All rights reserved.
Chatpata Aloo Salad [Vegan]
- 4 dried red chile peppers
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 potatoes, peeled, cooked, and cut into medium cubes
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste or freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 fenugreek seeds
- green chile peppers, chopped
- In a pan, dry-roast the red chiles, sesame seeds, and coriander seeds over medium heat for 5 minutes or until they become fragrant and change color.
- Take the pan off the heat and allow the masala to cool completely.
- Transfer the masala to a blender and coarsely grind. Set the masala aside.
- Combine the potatoes, tomato, cucumber, and onion in a medium bowl.
- Add the tamarind, masala, and salt. Mix everything together well.
- Heat the oil in a tadka pan over low heat. Temper the fenugreek seeds and then fry the green chiles for 30 seconds.
- Pour this tadka over the salad, give it a good mix, and serve.